Monday, October 27, 2008

Livestrong Challenge

So this weekend I participated in the Livestrong Challenge. I was asked to ride with another woman for her team here in Austin. I said what the heck, I've never done this before and I like what the Lance has done with and for this foundation, so I signed up and raised my money.

I show up that morning and get ready to ride my 10 miles...I only could do 10 miles since I had and Ironman meeting that morning at 10am. So I get to our marker and wait and wait. I finally see the team I'm riding with and take a few pictures before we start.

At this point I'm thinking well I will ride with the team and just enjoy this. But once we got to the start it was already 8:30am and I'm clear out in Dripping Springs. And to top it all off, there are a lot of inexperienced riders and kids on the 10 mile ride. All I can think about is getting it done and hope that a little kid doesn't jump in front of me while I'm cruising at 18 mph while trying to pass them.

So I dropped it in to some harder gears and took off. I just wanted to get done and get on with it. I passed I don't know how many people as they either stopped at the first rest stop or were just enjoying the ride. I make it to the finish line and I think I was the first one to cross as they were all standing around not expecting any one to cross in about 30-35 minutes.

I grabbed my towel and headed to the car. All in all I would totally do this again and do a longer ride. There were a ton of people out supporting the cause on Sunday.