Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Quarry Lake...BURRR!!!!!

So a few of us T3ers decided that since Barton Springs was closed that we would all head to Quarry Lake and do our open water swim for the week. I was all for it. I was thinking how bad could this be. I forgot to remind myself that I hate ice baths and don't do them because it so cold.

So we get to the dock and get our wetsuits on. I swear, I've only wore the wetsuit twice and I have another tear in it! What the heck! It is new. So I put on my neoprene cap and just jump in. I come up screaming like a freak show thinking I can't do this. I do some doggie paddling and some breast stroking in the water and try to get use to it.

At this point, I still have yet to put my face down. I finally go for it and I swear by face hurt so bad. I come up fighting and cussing. I put it down again and just fight through it. I make it about 200 meters or so before I feel like it is not that bad now.

I make it back to the dock after 750 meters. Alisa and I decide to do another loop. I get going and get to the clear back side of the loop and start to get dizzy. What the heck is going on. I can't get my bearings and I've lost sight of the buoys and the dock. I just start swimming and figure it out and make my way around to the dock again. More people went for a third loop but I think I was good with 2. I did some 100 meter swims and called it good when the group arrived.

My conclusion: I need more of the cold water so I don't freak out at CDA.