Friday, December 5, 2008

My new running experience...Gilberts Gazelles

A few months ago, I wanted to try something different...a new running group to see if there could be someone out there to help just improve my running where I'm more comfortable. I decided against it during my half ironman training as there wasn't much time for anything. So I decided that I could do it in December and January and see what happens and see if I even like it.

I started Monday night with Gilbert's Gazelles. Let me start out by saying the first phone call from Gilbert was awesome. He is funny and super motivating. He invited me to attend his core boot camp and I did. It wasn't bad at all. Then he told me to show up on December 1st to start the first night of running with his group. It was a track workout with some circuit focus. Not to bad, we do this in T3. He is all about form when doing everything and doing it the correct way...what a concept. I then went to run on Wednesday night. We were to do a 1 mile warm up on the trail and then a 2 mile timed tempo run. I was already having cramping problems in my calves so I knew this was not going to be a quality run that I wanted. But I managed to to do a 10:10/mile pace for a total of a 20:20 2 miles. Not bad...i just know that I won't be able to hold that for 13 miles. So about the last 100 meters I see Gilbert waiting for me. He starts walking towards me. He makes me sprint this portion of the run. All I hear is faster, pick up the knees, faster, swing the arms, faster, pick up the knees, swing the arms...ahhh...finally I'm done.

All in all it was a great experience and I'm happy I joined the Gazelle's. He has an incredible story of how he made it the the US and how he became the runner he is today.