Monday, August 24, 2009

Sweet and Twisted Triathlon





Man, I'm behind on blogging so I'm going to try and catch up here since I'm bored at work and I just don't want to read my emails right now :)

I decided back in July that I would do the Sweet and Twisted again even though last year I swore it off as it is kinda a crappy course and I hate trail running. But the Red Licorice Gals are so much fun that I decided what the heck, just go out and have some fun and do whatever with it and enjoy the moment.

The morning was good. Collin had to work that next day so he couldn't go so I was on my own for the first time...kinda scary and nice at the same time. Gave me a chance to collect my thoughts, emotions, and anxiety all on my own.

I show up and we have our own spot! I rack it next to my fave girl Jane Kang and start my morning. I walk around see everyone, get tattooed up with the T3 logo and make my way to the bathroom and then to the start for the swim.

They changed up the course this year and I have to say I like the swim start and exit better this year than last year. I was the second wave to go off. We started and I felt well, like I haven't swam in a over a month and that is exactly what I've been doing...NOT SWIMMING as I have been battling some rotator cuff issues and some out of place ribs.(at least that is what I've been told).

I make it out of the water and up the hill to put on my tennis shoes(400 meter run to the bikes). I get to my bike and throw on my helmet and shoes and sunglasses and take off. For some reason now I have decided that to save time in transition I will not wear socks on the bike and only on the run. Seems like a good plan and I kinda like it as my feet have time to dry in my shoes.

The bike course was fun, always a challenge out there as it is rolling hills will a little bit of recovering but not much. Two loops down and I was done. I decided not to use race wheels which I still wonder why I didn't and just went with it. Oh well, I was only a minute off from last year when I used my race wheels.

Off the bike and on the run. I stopped and hugged Jim Opre on the run and he sent me on my way. The guys from T3 were on the run course cheering me on and it was awesome. I started to walk alot and just said oh well, I'm out here for fun and I don't like trail running, so just get out here and enjoy it.

On the trail I met up with a new girl named Kim. She had a heart condition and had to walk more so we talked and walked and jogged and walked. We were only about a mile or less from the finish when she grabbed my left arm and started to scream and I looked to my right and a deer was heading straight for us at full speed. I crossed in front of us about 2 feet or so and we both screamed and a few women turned around and thought we were freakshows. Kim said, "I thought it was a mountain lion about to eat us". I was about to laugh my butt off at that point.

We get see the finish line and start running and finish together. It was awesome to see her out there and hear her story.