Monday, September 28, 2009

My poor Niki...


My love for my two dogs run far and deep. I tell both of them everyday I think I love them more than life itself. They are what gets me up and going every morning and what puts a smile on my face when I walk in the door everyday.

On Thursday's night 9/24/09, about 1am...Collin and Niki were in the living room. She was sleeping on her pillow and Collin was doing work and watching the football game. Since we just put in new floors both dogs are like a moose on ice and just slide everywhere and have no footing.

It sounded like she was trying to get up. Collin just kept thinking and maybe saying Nik, just get up already. He walked over to the couch and she was having a seizure. He tried to wake her but she was completely out of it. She had bit down on her pillow and her eyes were wide open and her legs were moving like they were running.

He rushed into the room and hollered at me to come and help and all I could do was grab Rex and sit there and cry. She came too, and he rushed her to the vet. I got up after they walked out and cleaned up the mess of pee from the seizure.

They made it home about an hour or so later and she acted like nothing was wrong. I had to take her to the vet on Friday morning for a full blood workup and nothing turned up.

I was a basket case. I didn't think I would react like that but I can't stand to see my dogs in pain and suffer. I hope there won't be a next time and if there is I hope I can handle it a little better.

I've not been sleeping very well the last few nights just worrying that it might happen again.